Believe the Bible
BIBLE IS FULL OF AWESOME STORIES!
Shouldn’t Ours Be that way too??
In a recent study:
49% of people outside of Christianity have a bad impression of Christians and
Only 3% have a good impression.
84% knew a Christian personally, but only 15% saw any discernible lifestyle difference.
The same stud found little difference in the beliefs of those professing to be a christian and those who didn't.
“I like your Christ; I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ”
In addition to the poor reflection of the Bible in our lifestyles, we are constantly bombarded with statements and questions like
"Noah's flood isn't real"
"Science and Archaeology disprove the Bible."
"it's a marvelous work of ancient fiction"
"the Bible is full of contradictions"
"the Bible has been changed to fit peoples beliefs and desire for control"
Ever asked those questions?
I would wager that many of us identify with the father of the demon-posessed boy in Mark 9 who said "I do believe, but help me overcome my unbelief!"
It’s Worth It to Believe because:
1. The Bible is Trustworthy
“You Just Have to Take it By Faith” - Blind Faith is STUPID!
Proverbs 3:5-6 - Trust in the Lord with all your heart And do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him, And He will make your paths straight.
Many people say that believing the word of God is “blind faith”; like believing that the pulpit is an orange tree. Sincerity in belief is not a prerequisite for truth – Just look at suicide bombers. Pregnant bomber in Iraq. Sincerity and blind faith are never a prerequisite for truth! Blind faith says that if I believe it enough then it will be true.
OT & Archeology
1. Archelogical evidence that israel were slaves in Egypt before 1446bc, arrived in Canaan around 1400bc and wandered through the desert
2. Disputed parts of the Bible now proven through archaeology: Existence of Sodom, Gomorah, the Hittites, Assyrian king Sargon, and the Babylonian king Belshazzar
3. There are over 200 historical stories of a flood - that did not get their stories from the Bible and they are all over the world, including ones from India, Turkey, Egypt, China, Korea, Australia, Hawaii, Canada, Alaska, South and Central America.
66% of these the family is warned in advance.
95% of the stories they are warned of a Global flood,
70% of the accounts, they use a boat to escape destruction.
67% of the stories, there is an effort to save animals on the boat,
57% of the accounts the family and boat end up on the top of a mountain.
The NT is the single most accurate collection of writings in all of antiquity. Nothing even comes close. The entire New Testament had been written by 95AD - only 60 years after the death and resurrection of Jesus, and well before eyewitnesses to the life of Jesus had died. The four gospels were officially assembled and recognized in 160AD and the entire NT officially assembled and recognized in 325AD. The criteria for what writings were included was that it had to be written by eye witnesses to the life of Christ, whether in person or by dictation. The books of Luke and Acts are believed to be written as a deposition for the trial of Paul before the Emperor and their dates and information regarding Roman occupation and leaders are precise.
By comparison, Plato's work was written around 450BC, but the first copy we have of his work is from 900AD and their are only 7 copies. What's known about Julius Caesar also comes from 900AD, almost 1000 years after the events recorded, and there are only 10 copies in existence. Aristotle? 5 copies and almost 1300 years of distance between document and when he wrote them. The New Testament is over 5000 documents that were written less than 100 years away from the events they talk about.
Scientific Discoveries: Scientific Fact or Principle and Bible reference/Date of discovery by man
11. Light is a particle and has mass (a photon)
Job 38:19 / 1932
12. Radio astronomy (stars give off signals)
Job 38:7 / 1945
13. Oceans contain fresh water springs
Job 38:16 / 1920
14. Infinite number of stars exist
Genesis 15:5 / 1940
15. Air has weight
Job 28:25 / 16th Century
16. Light can be split up into component colors
Job 38:24 / 1650
17. Matter is made up of invisible particles
Romans 1:20 / 20th Century
18. Plants use sunlight to manufacture food
Job 8:16 / 1920
19. Water cycle
Ecclesiastes 1:7 / 17th Century
1. Both man and woman possess the seed of life
Genesis 3:15 / 17th Century
2. Earth is held in place by invisible forces
Job 26:7 / 1650
3. The Earth is round
Isaiah 40:22 / 15th Century
4. Certain animals carry diseases harmful to man
Leviticus 11 / 16th Century
5. Early diagnosis of leprosy
Leviticus 13 / 17th Century
6. Quarantine for disease control
Leviticus 13 / 17th Century
7. Blood of animals carries diseases
Leviticus 17 / 17th Century
8. Blood is necessary for life
Leviticus 17:11 / 19th Century
9. Earth was in nebular form initially
Genesis 1:2 / 1911
10. Most seaworthy ship design ratio is 30:5:3
Genesis 6 / 1860
The Uniqueness of the Bible
Don’t you think that if God wanted to leave His word behind He would make it unique and separate it from all other books? Blind faith is not the faith of the Christian. We have facts that prove that the bible is true.
The Uniqueness of the Bible
1) It is unique in its continuity. Written over a 1600yr period. Over 60 generations with 40 different authors and often did not know about the other writings. Though the authors were very diverse. On three different continents in three different languages (Hebrew, Greek, and Aramaic) the Bible speaks on controversial subjects yet always agrees with itself on these issues.
2) The Bible is unique in its circulation – the best selling book of all time. Read by more people than any other book ever. If you take the top ten read books of all time and combined them they would still not equal the number of people who have read the bible. It was the first book to be printed on Gutenburg’s printing press. By 1804 there were 409 million. 1932 1 billion 330million. 1972 the Bible Society alone was printing 200 million a year. 1957 - 5 millionth was given to Eisienhower. In 1966 750 millionth to Johnson. 1969 1 billionth to nixson. 1976 2 billionth copy to Ford. In 1998, 585 million printed in just this one year
3) The Bible is unique in its translation. It has been translated into over 90% of the earth’s languages. 2,200 different languages that in 1950 -1960 had 3,000 translators working on translating it. Today there are over ten times that number of translators.
4) The Bible is unique in its criticism. Many people say that there is no way that Moses could have written the first five books of the Bible. This started in 17th century. They said that there was no writing in moses time until found the black stone laws where ethic and codes. Now discovered 5 different languages before Moses lived.
5) The Bible is unique in its survival. When something is written, the time when a work is copied often marks its accuracy. People like to say that it was orally handed down like a bad game of “rumors”. 1 John 3. “that which we have heard…we declare to you.” The author was an eye witness. 2 Peter 1:6 “We don’t follow fables…we were eyewitnesses.”
Ceasers copies – 10
Plato copies– 7
Aristotle copies – 49
New Testament copies– 24,633
6) The bible is unique through its persecution. In AD 303 diocletian gave decree to destroy every bible in existence. Irony was that next emperor was Constantine who was a Christian and decreed that 50 perfect copies be made of the bible. Like Voltaire God takes this stuff personally.
2. The Bible is True
- To Find Out that something is True, it must be Tested! He even invites us to put Him and His Word to the test.
Malachi 3:10 - God, speaking about tithes says " Bring all the tithes into the storehouse so there will be enough food in my Temple. If you do,” says the Lord of Heaven’s Armies, “I will open the windows of heaven for you. I will pour out a blessing so great you won’t have enough room to take it in! Try it! Put me to the test!"
Ps 34 - Taste and see that the Lord is good Oh, the joys of those who take refuge in him
Numbers 11:23 - The Lord said to Moses, “Is the Lord’s power limited? Now you shall see whether My word will come true for you or not.” NASB
3. The Bible is Transformative
Hebrews 4:12 - For the word of God is alive and powerful. It is sharper than the sharpest two-edged sword, cutting between soul and spirit, between joint and marrow. It exposes our innermost thoughts and desires.
Transformation Comes to:
1. Our Mind
Romans 12:2 - Don’t copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God’s will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect. NLT
1 Corinthians 2:16 - For, “Who can know the Lord’s thoughts? Who knows enough to teach him?” But we understand these things, for we have the mind of Christ. NLT
2. Our Body
Proverbs 3:7- 8 - Do not be wise in your own eyes; Fear the Lord and turn away from evil. 8 - It will be healing to your body And refreshment to your bones. NASB
1 Corinthians 6:19-20 - Don’t you realize that your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit, who lives in you and was given to you by God? You do not belong to yourself, 20 for God bought you with a high price. So you must honor God with your body. NLT
Romans 12:1 - And so, dear brothers and sisters, I plead with you to give your bodies to God because of all he has done for you. Let them be a living and holy sacrifice—the kind he will find acceptable. This is truly the way to worship him. NLT
3. Our Circumstances
Practically (slaves in Egypt)
Perspectivally ;) (Paul & Silas in Jail. Peter in Jail. Joshua sun stands still)
Noah, Abraham, Moses, Joshua, Gideon, Ruth, Esther, etc
2 Corinthians 1:8-10 - We think you ought to know, dear brothers and sisters, about the trouble we went through in the province of Asia. We were crushed and overwhelmed beyond our ability to endure, and we thought we would never live through it. 9 In fact, we expected to die. But as a result, we stopped relying on ourselves and learned to rely only on God, who raises the dead. 10 He did rescue us from mortal danger & he will rescue us again. We have placed our confidence in him, and he will continue to rescue us!
James 2:19 - You say you have faith, for you believe that there is one God. Good for you! Even the demons believe this, and they tremble in terror. 20 How foolish! Can’t you see that faith without good deeds is useless? NLT